Wednesday 20 June 2007

Rainbow Bridge

It is with much sadness that I write this. Muffy our pregnant mare gave birth to a silver dun colt foal early this morning, but sadly he has died. I'm totally devastated. The foal looked perfect, I checked him over and couldn't find any marks on him and there was nothing over his nose or mouth, but obviously all was not well and he died in the field. Muffy was still trying to get the foal up and was quite distressed. I immediately checked Muffy over and she had cleansed, the afterbirth was intact and the membranes looked complete. We removed the foal and Muffy wandered off to eat some grass. She seems OK now, but I was broken hearted for her. I rang Karen who we had brought Muffy from to tell her and she was as upset as I. She's also lost two foals this year, both colts. She also told me that another stud had lost seven colts this year but all the fillies are doing OK. Still doesn't make it any easier. I know I'm going to have to learn to cope with the losses if we continue to bred, which we really want to do. But anyone who knows me, knows how much I love my animals and what a physical blow it is to lose one.
I told the boys as soon as they came in from school and they seem to have taken the news better then me.
Run free over Rainbow Bridge little one.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails