Saturday 2 May 2009

What's Been Going On...

Thanks to everyone that's emailed to ask if I'm OK, as I haven't been blogging every day. We are all fine, just really busy. Ben's been sitting a couple of his Exams. Harry's been doing Athletics and is doing extremely well. He's now been asked to do Athletics for the County...
The Ponies are keeping us hanging on, especially Jasmine who looks like she could explode at any second.
I have been working on making all the shields for the Medieval Fun Day, which will be taking place on 15th August at Harry's Riding School. For each size, I drew straight onto the cardboard, cut it out and used it as the template for all the others. The largest shields are 47cms in width and 55cms long, the medium size is 31cm in width and 31cms in length and the smallest are 16cm by 18cm. In all so far I've made over 100...! Still hundreds more to make. I've still got to draw the patterns on, then kids at the Riding School are going to paint them all and we are going to hang them on all the fences. The Larger Shield's are for the younger boys, to use as part of their costumes. Now have to make handles on the backs, so they can carry them around and they won't be to heavy for them to hold on Horse Back.
Harry is doing something in the Display on Horseback, but its a surprise, so we aren't allowed to know what it is. All I do know is that he is going to be the Black Knight..
The only thing that really gave me the raging hump the other night at the meeting, was the lack of parent's that have agreed to do anything to help. It seems that there are only a handful of us that are committed to making the day a success, remembering this is for the Children. Not only am I making all the shields, but I've also been trying to organise Raffle prizes, by contacting the local Shop owners and also on the day, we are taking some of our Ponies for a Petting Corner and also helping to make the scenery. Another Mum is doing a dance display with Shetland Ponies, another one is making costumes. We've already organised the Bouncy Castle and giant slide, refreshments, which includes doing a BBQ and also trying to get all the other outside displays organised which hopefully will include a Falconry display.
The last time they did one of these, they were only expecting around 300 people and it ended up at over 1,500 people attending.


9 comments:

Wendie-kins said...

Its a shame that only a few can be bothered to help out but it usually does work out that way, so they are very lucky to have you Debbie! I hope all the non-helpers appreciate the work you've put in & I hope the day is a fantastic success for you.

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

I'm EXHAUSTED just reading your post! Unfortunately, Debbie, that seems to be the case everywhere. Everyone says, oh, yes, a marvelous ideas, let's do it, I'll volunteer, but when it actually get down to it . . . Sounds like it's going to be a really fun day though!! Oh, yes, the shields are going to be awesome! :)

nikkinikkinikki72 said...

Debbie. Do shetland ponies really do dancing displays... lol. That did make me laugh but i would imagine its possible.
Seems like you have too much to do and not enough time.
I agree with you about schools and mums helping. I dont help myself these days but when i did everyone would run away if you asked for help. So i can see why this annoys you.
Congartulations to Harry for his athletics and can't wait to see pics of him as the black knight.
Hope the babies all arrive soon. Its bad enough waiting for one birth, but several must be frustrating.

Marja said...

Fortunately, everything is good there
miss you already but I did not want to email
I see that you have very busy
hugs Marja

Creager Studios said...

There you are!!!! You have been a busy busy girl... and you continue to be busy!! So nice to hear all is right with the world and you are fine....
Sounds like an exciting event coming up...

Big hugs
Jodi

Crafts From The Stash said...

OMG Debbe, no small wonder you arent blogging every day. What huge task still it will be worth it. I love your ponies they are so sweet. I bet you arnt getting much sleep either.

((( hugs )))

Debie x

MiniKat said...

I would help out and I don't even have children. It sounds like so much fun! Shame on those parents who cannot be bothered to help with an activity for their kids. I hope you and the parents who are working hard get to enjoy the festivities and I hope the weather provides for a gorgeous day!

kimsminiatures said...

We all understand. You do have a real life and busy one at that! But always love your blog so much.
Mini hugs!

rosanna said...

Hundreds of shields! Good gracious it's a huge number. Anywa it's the same allover the world. When Matteo had some events at school I used to do cstumes and scenography during lunch time, days off and nights and sometimes the only response was a very critical one.
It's a good thing that we do everything for the children because often parents do not deserve it.
The poor pony looks sooo big..I wish the babyarrives soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails