Saturday 28 August 2010

Nursery Rhymes....


When Debie came down last weekend, she brought down her beautiful books, that were illustrated by Jean Baptiste Monge. (Top Picture). Now both Debie and I Love books with beautiful illustrations.
I was telling her about mine and Mick's Nursery Rhyme Books.
Now Mick has a Blue Cover on his and mine has a Pink Cover. Mine was called Dean's Gift Book Of Nursery Rhymes and we think Mick's was either this one, called Dean's New Gift Book Of Nursery Rhymes or Dean's Gift Book of Pussy And Puppy Nursery Rhymes. We still have them, but they are buried somewhere in a box!.
I remember the illustrations in mine vividly, and was trying to explain what they looked like to Debie.
Well a few days ago, I started a search on the Internet, to see if I could find them.
There has been a reprint done, to include all the books in one hardback edition and is called Dean's Mother Goose Book Of Rhymes, which I found on Amazon.
I found out that the book was printed by Dean & Son Ltd, London, but the illustrations were done by twin Sisters Janet & Anne Graham Johnstone. I bet a lot of these Rhymes, people don't know any more.
As luck would have it, I spotted the one with the blue cover on EBAY, bid on it and won. Well it came this morning and I thought I'd share a few of the beautiful illustrations. I Love the Gossips of the Village and The Old Woman who lived under the hill. I could just imagine these in miniature...
The one I have, has totally different Nursery Rhymes in it like, There was a Crooked Man and Hark, Hark, The Dogs do Bark.
Hopefully, when I eventually get round to sorting all our stuff out, I'll come across our original ones..










18 comments:

Tabitha Corsica said...

Beautiful illustrations, Deb. How nice that both you and Mick saved your originals! Many of the charcters would make great mini's.

Ara said...

These pages are full of such characters!! These could keep a miniaturist busy for years!

shannonc60 said...

I've seen these pics too, trying to remember if they're books I had when I was young. They are amazing illustrations, aren't they? Beautiful detail.

Jill said...

Love those pages-- such beautiful illustrations. I wish that I still had my childhood books! I especially loved the nursery rhymes.
Hugs,
Jill

Crafts From The Stash said...

Geeesh more visual stimuli LOL. A few of these have got my creative noggin churning LOL. Lovely pics Debs.

Lorra Luffies

Debie xxxxxx

Ascension said...

Que bellas imagenes, son unas ilustraciones preciosas!!!
besitos ascension

Witchkrafting with Kat said...

My kind of book, how beautiful. I have books on old rhymes and stories and even as an adult I love them. I love the little hats in the illustrations will inspire me in my hat making. Thank you for sharing the images :-)

Daydreamer said...

Beautiful Illustrations Debbie! Thank you for sharing them. I love old nursery rhymes and the illustrations that go with them!

Garden of Miniatures said...

What a beautifeul book,thank you for sharing and the link ! Jeannette

stil-blicke.blogspaot.com said...

Debbie.... wunderschöne Bilder.

Ich liebe Kinderbücher dieser Art.

Liebe Grüße PuNo/monika

Allison said...

What a fabulous trip down memory lane - I'm sure I had the same book! I'm trying to collect copies of my favourite childhood books too x

Catherine said...

Such gorgeous illustrations!!! I love the first two best I think. Can't you just hear those gossips blathering away! LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh I love these pages. I remember them well. Especially the one about the house that Jack built. Are there more of those pages. Would you mind if I made a miniature book of them? I will make one for you as well if it would be okay.

Katie said...

Debbie! This book is Beautiful! I love all the images!! It looks so familiar.....One day could you show us the front of it? I love these kind of books, too! And find myself looking through the kids books at the 2nd hand store, not for the kids, but for me! Terrible! LOL! Oneday I'll have to do a post on my favorites:)

Hope all is well!
Hugs!
Katie

Jackie Morris said...

You had the same book as me, the Dean's Book of Nursery rhymes. Seems to be quite rare. Unearth it from your boxes. You will find as you flick through the pages that time travel is possible.
This is one of the few books I have from when I was a child, and I have just done my own version, due to be published in September.

Anonymous said...

I too have the same book as you Debbie, mine is in NZ where i had it as a child. I took it from home and with moving house it sits in a box. I have to unearth it. I didn't realise there was another book too. Mine has a boring white cover, probably the paper cover had come off. I spent many hours as a small child imagining being in the worlds created by the illustrations. It was lovely to see there was more. I googled it as I am thinking of getting one of my favourite illustrations as a tattoo! These books should be heirlooms. Regards Joanne

Anonymous said...

....oh didn't you just want the sweets in the candy shop to become real so you could eat them? Now which rhyme was that? A chubby boy was out the front.

Julia Elfvenmyr said...

I saw the picture of the goblin on Tumblr and it had that cosy, magical mood that I love. It didn´t credit the artist though, and I really wanted to put it on my Tumblr. It wasn´t until I saw it on your blog that I found the correct artist, so a big thanks for that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails